Weekly Roundup: Rothko Pavilion, Alphabet District Downzoning, 5035 NE Sandy, and more

Rothko Pavilion

The Portland Art Museum’s Rothko Pavilion

The Oregonian reported on Portland Art Museum’s multimillion-dollar expansion. The Rothko Pavilion will connect the museum’s two existing buildings, which are currently only joined below ground. Places Over Time took a look at Vinci Hamp Architects’ design for the structure.

The Business Tribune wrote about a request by the Northwest District Association to downzone parts of the Alphabet Historic District, which would reduce the amount of housing that could be built in the area. According to the paper it would “kill” plans to build a 160-unit project at 1727 NW Hoyt St, which “would provide 60 years of affordability for seniors making $15,000 or less.”

The DJC wrote about plans by Oregon Democrats to “introduce a package of legislation next year to lift a ban on rent control and provide new protections to tenants facing eviction.” *

The Portland Business Journal wrote about the developers lining “up to back Portland’s affordable housing measure“.

Despite not having an approved design, a ground-breaking ceremony was held for the Multnomah County Central Courthousereported the Business Tribune. The building is scheduled to go in front of the Historic Landmarks Commission for approval on October 24th.

Venerable Properties has released details of what will replace Der Rheinlander at 5035 NE Sandy Blvd. A new “multi-specialty health care center” owned by The Portland Clinic will be built on the site, according to the Portland Business Journal.

The Central Eastside’s newest coworking space has opened in Slatereported the Portland Business Journal. CENTRL Office will occupy 22,000 sq ft of space across two floors of the Burnside Bridgehead building.

*This article will be unlocked for the rest of this week. After this week it will only be viewable by DJC subscribers.

Metro Reports: apartments on SW Jefferson, N Vancouver, SE Belmont and more

Jefferson 14 Apartments

Jefferson 14 Apartments

Every week, the Bureau of Development Services publishes lists of early assistance applications, land use reviews and building permits. We publish the highlights.

Abbasi Design Works has requested Early Assistance for a project at 3150 SE Belmont St:

New construction of 20 apartment with commercial on ground floor and on-site parking

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 1727 NW Hoyt St, a building which previously slated for demolition:

Utilize historic preservation incentives to renovate a existing office building and convert it to a boutique hotel 70 rooms.

Early Assistance has been requested for a project at 1015 NW 16th Ave:

Demo adjacent buildings and combine lots for a single mixed-use building. Proposed use: retail and self storage.

A series of building permits are under review at 14224 E Burnside St:

New 3 story (13 unit) apartment buildilng with laundry and common room; with on site parking, site improvements and site amenities (sports court, play area, and court yard)

New 3 story (9 unit) apartment building

New 3 story (12 unit) apartment building

Myhre Group have submitted drawings for a building permit for a new building at 2405 N Vancouver Ave:

New multi family 5 level, 54 unit apartment building over a below grade parking garage

TVA Architects have submitted drawings for a building permit for the Jefferson 14 apartments:

New 6 story apartment building, landscaping and site improvements

Weekly Roundup: Multnomah County Courthouse, Revolution Hall and more

Block 136

Block 136

  • Block 136, the Tess O’Brien Apartments and the Lloyd Center Remodel were due before the Design Commission on Thursday.
  • In a 4-1 decision, the City Council voted to reject the proposal to demolish a building at 1727 NW Hoyt.
  • In ‘Stark Changes‘ and ‘A New Old Town II‘ Places over Time wrote about the St Francis Park Apartments and Block 8L respectively.
  • The Portland Mercury reported that Revolution Hall, the music venue inside the newly renovated Washington High School, has announced its first shows.
  • Portland Architecture wrote about the design forum for the James Beard Public Market, in which the team from Snøhetta met with various groups, including University of Oregon students.
  • The Oregonian reported that Multnomah County voted to choose “an L-shaped lot at the west end of the Hawthorne Bridge” as its preferred site for a new courthouse.
  • The Portland Chronicle published photos of the demolition of a 1947 warehouse located at 1916 SE 50th. Though no construction permits have been filed yet, the blog speculates that it will become multifamily housing, given that the property is owned by Urban Development Group.

Weekly roundup: 4th & Harrison, OHSU, Society Hotel and more

November192014EA14-220633DAR-4thampHarrison-PostingNotice-2_zps6e6ce205

The 4th & Harrison student housing project had its first Design Advice session this week

  • The City Council heard evidence for and against the proposed demolition of the Buck Prager Building at 1727 NW Hoyt. The hearing will be continued on December 18th.
  • The Design Commission offered Design Advice on the St Francis Park Apartments and the 4th & Harrison student housing. A Design Review hearing for Jefferson 14 was postponed until December 18th.
  • In an article titled ‘Arcade Games Are Better III‘ Places over Time wrote about 419 Burnside.
  • The Portland Business Journal reported that “some of the structures that comprise Centennial Mills could very well collapse into the Willamette River if they’re not torn down — and fast.”
  • In an article about affordable housing in the North Macadam Urban Renewal Area, the Oregonian reported that the Portland Housing Bureau are planning a  a mixed-use project to include affordable housing at SW Moody & River Parkway.
  • The blog History Treasured & Sometimes Endangered wrote about an art installation at the Mariner’s Home Building on NW 3rd and NW Davis. The building is currently being converted into the Society Hotel.
  • The Portland Chronicle published photos of the site at 4937 SE Division St set to be redeveloped as 134 apartment units, with SERA as its architect.
  • The Portland Business Journal wrote about construction progress at the former Red Lion, currently being transformed into the Hotel Eastlund.
  • The Daily Journal of Commerce reported that OHSU is close to signing contracts for two South Waterfront projects [subscription required]. According to the article, ZGF Architects have been chosen to design the Center for Health & Healing II and SRG Partnership have been chosen for the Schnitzer Campus Building III.

1727 NW Hoyt Demolition Review

The Bureau of Development Services has published its Staff Report and Recommendations to the Portland City Council [PDF] for the demolition of the Buck-Prager Building at 1727 NW Hoyt. If the review is approved, the applicant proposes to build a half-block residential building, with 82 units. The developer is Gerding Edlen and the architect is Holst.

Read More