Weekly Roundup: James Beard Public Market, Field Office, 333 SW Park, and more

Interior view of the James Beard Public Market

Interior view Snøhetta’s design for the James Beard Public Market at the Morrison Bridgehead site

Portland Architecture broke the news that the James Beard Public Market will no longer be built at the Morrison Bridgehead site. The market’s board of directors is now investigating other sites. The Oregonian reported that the Morrison Bridgehead site, formerly owned by Multnomah County, is now owned by MMDC Company.

With work underway on the Field Office , on NW Front Ave, The Oregonian reported that developer Project^ “imagines new neighborhood north of the Pearl“.

In Downtown, Project^ are planning a major renovation of a building at 333 SW Park, which will convert it to creative office space with a ground-floor restaurant. While the project goes through the permitting phase, The DJC reported* that the building will be used as a temporary homeless shelter.*

Site work has begun on the Multnomah County Central Courthouseaccording to The Oregonian.

As part of its “Regional Snapshots” series Metro took a look at Portland-area housing costs, and the factors that influence them.

*This article will be unlocked for the rest of this week. After this week it will only be viewable by DJC subscribers.

Weekly Roundup: 12th & Morrison office, Grant High Modernization, the Truman Apartments and more

1139 SW Morrison by Design Department and LRS Architects

1139 SW Morrison by Design Department and LRS Architects

The Portland Business Journal took a first look at the 6 story office building planned by Menashie Properties for a site at 1139 SW Morrison. The building is being designed by Design Department and LRS Architects.

Construction is underway on the PSU School of Business Administration.  The Daily Journal of Commerce published photos of the work underway.

The Oregonian published 5 takeaways from Portland’s plan for next 20 years of growth.

Portland Architecture interviewed the architects and developer behind the development at 3rd and Taylor, which threatens the Ancient Order of United Workmen Temple and the Hotel Albion.

The Oregonian reported on the new 20 story condo tower planned for Block 20 of the Hoyt Street Yards in the Pearl. The building would have 150 residential units and 190 parking spaces.

The James Beard Public Market is set to close on the deal to acquire the land at the west end of the Morrison Bridge, according to The Oregonian. The current schedule envisions the market opening to the public in 2020.

Design work has begun on the Grant High School Modernization, one of the projects funded as part of the $482 million bond passed in 2012. Grant Magazine published the first conceptual drawings of what the rebuilt school will look like.

The Portland Chronicle published images of The Truman apartments at SE 44th and Hawthorne. Construction on the 30 unit building is due to begin in early 2016.

Weekly Roundup: The Woods, MAC Block 7, Post Office Redevelopment and more

The Woods by SolTerra

The Woods by SolTerra

The Design Commission has approved The Woods by developer SolTerra, reported the Portland Business Journal. The N Williams Ave project will include 50 residential units and almost 5,000 sq ft of retail space.

The James Beard Public Market has a new executive director. Fred Granum will replace Ron Paul, who has stepped down due to health reasons.

BikePortland wrote about the potential for protected bike lanes on NW Lovejoy and Broadway, which could form a part of the Post Office Redevelopment.

The Portland Chronicle wrote about a 1923 house in Sellwood at 5624 SE 22nd Ave that was recently torn down to make way for a 3 story apartment building with 15 units.

KGW covered a protest by neighbors of a planned apartment building at 2605 NE 7th Ave. The project has received a building permit, and construction will start soon.

The NW Examiner reported [PDF – page 11] that activity on MAC Block 7 is starting up again. The apartment building will require a change to the zoning on the site, because it will include commercial parking for members of the Multnomah Athletic Club.

Portland is falling behind its goals for affordable housing in North and Northeast Portland, according to a City report covered by The Oregonian.

Weekly Roundup: Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum, Multnomah Village apartments, The Redd and more

7707 SW Capital Highway

7707 SW Capital Highway

Multnomah Village residents are attempting to block a planned apartment building at 7707 SW Capitol Highway. The building will include 70 market rate apartments, two retail units, and between 43 and 60 parking stalls.

The Portland Business Journal wrote about plans for the adaptive reuse of the Stagecraft Buildingone of the last remaining buildings in the Pearl suitable for conversion.

A groundbreaking ceremony was held on Monday for the Japanese Garden Expansion, with architect Kengo Kuma in attendance from Japan.

The first phase of the Ecotrust’s Redd on Salmon St food hub is now open and ready for tenants. The project will consist of two buildings: Marble and Foundry. Work on the Foundry building is expected to be completed in late 2016.

The Pine Street Market, which is due to open late this year, was named as one of American’s 17 Most Anticipated Food Halls by Eater. It was joined on the list by the James Beard Public Market, currently scheduled to open in 2018.

A study of Veteran’s Memorial Coliseum has come up with five options for how the structure could be renovated. These range for minor upgrades to address maintenance needs, to creating an indoor track and field facility.

A profile of developer/architect Ben Kaiser at Oregon Business looked at his ideas for how to deal with earthquakes, in both new and existing buildings. Work on the Radiator at One North, designed by Kaiser’s practice PATH Architecture, was recently completed.

United Way of the Columbia-Willamette has sold a downtown parking lot, reported the Portland Business Journal. The non profit is still considering its options for its headquarters at 619 SW 11thhowever at a recent Pre-Application Conference plans for a 15 story hotel were discussed.

A commercial structure at 8235 SE 17th Ave has been demolished, reported the Portland Chronicle. A building permit is under review for a new apartment building on the site, by developer Urban Development Group.

Weekly Roundup: James Beard Public Market, OHSU and more

James Beard Public Market

James Beard Public Market

Designs for the James Beard Public Market were released by Snøhetta. Portland Architecture provided extensive coverage of the announcement, where Snøhetta founding partner Craig Dykers spoke about how they arrived at the design.

OHSU has raised the $500 million match needed to gift from Phil Knight. The money will help the university move ahead with the Center for Health & Healing South and the Knight Cancer Research Building.

Also at OHSU, Portland Monthly had a look at the soon to open Treehouse Apartments by Lever Architecture. The apartments are a rare residential development on Marquam Hill.

The Portland City Council approved a ‘make or break’ deal with ZRZ Realty that will spur development on the Zidell Yards.

Upcoming micro restaurant spot The Zipper has lined up another tenant: Paydirt, a new bar by the people behind The Old Gold.

Creative agency Swift has signed a lease for 30,000 sq ft of office space at the under construction 1638 NW Overton building.

The City is considering whether developers should be able to receive extra density for affordable housing.

 

Weekly Roundup: Pearl West, Viking Pavilion, 1510 Technology Center and more

Pearl West

Pearl West will be the new North American headquarters for Wacom

Our weekly roundup covers the stories relating to architecture & development in Portland.

Michael Graves, the architect of the Portland Building, passed away this week at the age of 80.

Wacom announced that they plan to move their North American from Vancouver, WA to the Pearl District. They will occupy three floors and 56,000 sq ft of the under construction Pearl West office building. They will also open a retail store on the ground floor.

The developers behind the James Beard Public Market briefed Multnomah County that they are looking at realigning the Morrison Bridge ramps at Naito.

Noraneko, a new ramen shop, opens today in the Pitman II restaurant building on SE Water Ave.

The state Higher Education Coordinating Commission approved the University of Oregon’s application to start a Master of Science in Sports Product Management. The program will be based in the Block 8L building in Old Town.

OHSU has committed $7.5 million to the $50 million PSU Viking Pavilion and Academic Center, which will allow the project to move ahead.

The Portland Business Journal published photos of the 1510 Technology Center, the former PGE operations facility in the Central Eastside that has been converted into new offices for Viewpoint Construction Software.

Seattle’s Urban Renaissance Group last year bought 1320 S.W. Broadway, the former home of the Oregonian. They plan a multimillion dollar renovation of the Pietro Belluschi designed building.

Weekly Roundup: Multnomah County Courthouse, Revolution Hall and more

Block 136

Block 136

  • Block 136, the Tess O’Brien Apartments and the Lloyd Center Remodel were due before the Design Commission on Thursday.
  • In a 4-1 decision, the City Council voted to reject the proposal to demolish a building at 1727 NW Hoyt.
  • In ‘Stark Changes‘ and ‘A New Old Town II‘ Places over Time wrote about the St Francis Park Apartments and Block 8L respectively.
  • The Portland Mercury reported that Revolution Hall, the music venue inside the newly renovated Washington High School, has announced its first shows.
  • Portland Architecture wrote about the design forum for the James Beard Public Market, in which the team from Snøhetta met with various groups, including University of Oregon students.
  • The Oregonian reported that Multnomah County voted to choose “an L-shaped lot at the west end of the Hawthorne Bridge” as its preferred site for a new courthouse.
  • The Portland Chronicle published photos of the demolition of a 1947 warehouse located at 1916 SE 50th. Though no construction permits have been filed yet, the blog speculates that it will become multifamily housing, given that the property is owned by Urban Development Group.

Public Market Community Open House this Saturday

A Community Open House for the planned James Beard Public Market will take place this Saturday, December 13th at OMSI, from 2pm – 5pm. As was first reported in Portland Monthly, the design of the building is being led by Norwegian architects Snøhetta. The market is proposed for land at the Morrison Bridge Head, currently owned by Multnomah County. The county agreed in 2012 to sell the land to a group including the Public Market Foundation and Melvin Mark Development. The Foundation intends to build a daily, year-round, indoor-outdoor marketplace, which would include 50 permanent vendors, 40 day tables, full-service restaurants, a teaching kitchen and an event space.

The open house will be an opportunity to meet the design team, share ideas, and influence the design. There will be a presentation at 2:30 PM by the architects, the Market’s non-profit foundation, and Mayor Hales. The event is free to the public, and children are welcome.

JBPM-Concept-Presentation_Summer2014-2

Weekly roundup: 419 E Burnside, Block 8L and more

December 2, 2014 LU 14-169513 DZM AD - 419 E Burnside - Drawing Set - view 02

419 E Burnside. The ghosted outlines behind the building represent Block 67 and Block 75.

  • The City Council heard evidence on the rezoning for the Multnomah Athletic Club Block 7 apartments. No vote was taken, and the hearing will be continued on January 8th.
  • The Historic Landmarks Commission approved the design for Block 8L, a new mixed use building in Old Town.
  • The Design Commission discussed the Tess O’Brien Apartments, 419 E Burnside, the Hilton Curio Hotel and the Whidden & Lewis building renovations.
  • A Pre-Application Conference was requested for the Grove Hotel, and the first images were released.
  • The Portland Chronicle posted construction photos of Vallaster Corl’s Lower Burnside Lofts.
  • BikePortland wrote about the upcoming open house and forum for the James Beard Public Market, and how the market could be and opportunity to “improve Portland’s newest and arguably most awkward downtown bridge landing.”
  • The development boom at the Burnside Bridgehead was the subject of another post at BikePortland, which included coverage of Skylab’s Block 67, Works Partnership’s Block 75, Myhre Group’s 419 E Burnside, and Guerrilla Development’s Fair Haired Dumbbell.
  • The Daily Journal of Commerce published photos of GBD Architect’s Block A Apartments under construction in the Lloyd District.
  • The Portland Business Journal wrote that the “Portland Development Commission has issued a call for qualified developers who could pull off a transformative, big-picture project at the corner of Northeast Halsey Street and Northeast 106th Avenue.”
  • Tom Moyer, the developer behind Park Avenue West, was remembered in an editorial in the Oregonian. His legacy is as of “one of the people who helped define Portland’s city center.”