What do the project statuses mean?
- Announced (red): The project has been publicly announced or reported on.
- Early Assistance (cyan): The project team have made preliminary contact with the City of Portland, but no Land Use Reviews or permits have been filed. This includes optional Design Advice Requests.
- Design / Land Use Review (blue): The project has been submitted for Design Review, or other Land Use Review. Not all projects are required to go through this process.
- Permit Review (yellow): Construction permits are under review at the Bureau of Development Services.
- Under Construction (green): Permits have been issued for construction, enabling construction to begin.
- Completed (purple): The project is substantially complete, and is being used for its intended purpose.
- Inactive (black): There has been no public activity on the project in over a year, or the project has been announced as cancelled
What’s a Land Use Review anyway?
See our post about the language of development in Portland.
What does Next Portland cover?
Next Portland writes about multi-family residential, retail, cultural buildings, educational buildings, hotels and other large projects happening in the City of Portland. We cover both new buildings and major alterations or additions to old buildings. Our blog posts are exclusively written about projects that are either still in the design phase, or are under construction.
What doesn’t Next Portland cover?
We do not include single family residential, heavy industrial, tenant improvements, or minor alterations / additions to existing buildings. We don’t publish rumors or projects that are still confidential. We don’t cover projects outside of the City of Portland.
Where do you get your data?
All information on the site is drawn from already published public sources, including:
- City of Portland Auditor’s Office Efiles
- Bureau of Development Services Metro Reports
- Bureau of Development Services Land Use Review Notices, Hearings and Decisions